Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Are you a Leech or Worthy Person?

You know when sometimes people ask your help in doing something, and you happily lend a helping hand not knowing the long term shit you shall land into? Sometimes when I offer my expertise to a helpless soul, they would start leeching my life away because I am their source of protein and they are too lazy to hunt by their own. First, they will ask me to help them with a small little task. After I had done it with flying colours, they would ask for a few more other things since I am so kind and good at the task. Then whenever they faced some problem, they would always expect me to help since I am Mr. Know It All. If my offered solution does not work, they will still come back to me and expect me to make it work. By now they would start asking help from someone else as well as I am trying to be less helpful, but they won't let me off the hook that easily. If you tell them off nicely, they will show a helpless look and tell others you don't want to help them. Hmm, whose fault is it that I landed in this mess? Me.

A wise man once said, "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime." or at least stop bothering me for 2 weeks. I always hold on this principal of teaching them to survive rather than handing them the food directly, but not everyone is willing to learn or have the patient listening to your tutoring. Should I find pleasure in helping people? Only if I can see them making an effort to learn rather than expecting spoon-feed. We need to help people worthy of our help. Thus, I won't be voted as Mr. Helpful for this year :)

No comments: