Monday, April 16, 2007

What's good about Australia?

I went to Australia 2 weeks ago with my sister and parents, and it is quite a relaxing and enlightening vacation. I get to understand my sister and parents more, and I get to know another culture and city. Though it is fairly expensive, but I personally think it is timely and worthwhile to have a family vacation, before I no longer have a chance to do so. The older all of us became, I felt that I need and appreciate them more. Who in the world would love and tolerate me more than anyone else, if not my parents. Though I kinda “mis-treated” them at times, but I do love and appreciate them.


I used to hear story about how good Australia is, but I never quite felt and understand what is so good about it. So what is actually so nice about the country, the culture and the city?
  • It had nice weather, at least for autumn and spring. I am there for autumn, and the weather is cool (slightly dry), slightly windy and sunny (felt like Cameron Highlands). I never sweat and felt tired walking around the city; in fact, it is a nice weather to walk around.
  • Because of the nice weather, it is very comfortable to have picnic in the park or having a coffee at the sidewalk cafĂ©.
  • The streets in the city are no congested with cars. I think the cost of driving into the city is very high, with expensive toll and parking; which is good in the sense that they actually solve traffic jam and make the street more peaceful. The car on the road in "clean" as well, where they don't left off irritating carbon monoxide smelly gas.
  • They provide first class transportation of train, bus, tram and monorails, where you could actually reach most part of the city without a car. The payment for all their transportation system is linked together. Meaning you could just buy a single ticket and board any public transport without much hassle.
  • They have wide sidewalks, so you don’t physically bump into someone that easily while trying to squeeze through. And it is pleasant to walk around the city.
  • They have a lot of nice clean park like KLCC Park, where you would feel like lying down on the green green grass. You could have a family picnic, or read a book there, or just lying down to take a short nap and have a chit chat. It helps to relax and release stress.
  • There driver there are much courteous, where most of them would usually give way to pedestrian under any circumstances. Though some of them are less patient, but at least none of them try to run down the pedestrian.
  • Australia are pretty multi cultural with lots of immigrants, thus you could easily find all sort of Asian and Western food around, and see a good mixture of crowd.
  • They have good quality fruits and food.
  • Everyone house in Australia have different design and large compound.
  • It felt safer.

Nothing is perfect. Australia got its own share of problem, such as the high cost of living, high tax rate and alike. In returns, the government gives you better education and healthcare benefit, and you could choose to stay in the sub-urban area to lower the cost of living (which is well connected by trains to the city). Typically Europeans have a more relaxed lifestyle, while Asians are workaholic. So most of their shops close early, so that they could spent more time enjoying life (probably make people happy and cause less society stress). Most of the workers there are protected by the union for the minimum wages and working hours, so it kinda make sure most of the workers could survive the current standard of living, but it will drive the cost of living up as well.

Now I can see why people like to migrate to Australia: for the better lifestyle.

No comments: