What skills today’s web developers need to be equipped with?
First we have some basic skills
- CSS (don’t underestimate it’s power)
- Web Development Language: PHP, C# or VB.NET for ASP.NET, Java, Perl, Ruby, Python, etc.
- Database: MySQL or Microsoft SQL
- Graphics Manipulation: Photoshop or GIMP skills
- A sense of design
Server-side Skills (some System Admins doesn't even have these skill sets)
- Amazon Web Services (and installation of LAMP stack)
- Linux Commands, Shell Scripts, Configure Cron Jobs
- APC or MEMCACHE configuration
- Apache Optimization, HTACCESS configuration
- MySQL Optimization
- CDN configuration
- Load Balancing (1 million visitor range)
And some slightly more advance technology
- Google App Engine (GAE), using Python, Java or Go
- Google Maps API
- Google Web Toolkit, and framework (GWT-platform)
- Web Development Framework: CakePHP/CodeIgniter, ASP.NET MVC, Spring, Ruby on Rail, etc.
- Data Abstraction Framework: Hibernate, Objectify, ADO.NET Entity Framework
- Database: Google’s Big Table, NoSQL, Amazon’s SimpleDB
- Chrome Web App Development
- HTML5: Canvas, Offline Storage, File API, Sound & Video, Web Socket, CSS3, etc.
- Search Engine Optimization, Sitemaps, RSS, etc.
- Support for Desktop Web and Mobile Web (Smartphone, Tablets)
- Support for Multiple Browsers: IE6/7/8/9, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera
- Social Integration: Facebook Connect, Twitter API, etc.
- Android (A great website probably have a mobile apps as well)
- Desktop Tool Development (develop supporting tools for offline processing): C#, Java, etc.
I wonder how well a season web developer compensated today, especially in Malaysia. A typical good programmer in US would be paid around USD 100,000 per year (some capable of reaching USD 200-400K). It's quite pathetic that senior software developer in Malaysia get around RM 4,000-8,000 monthly (probably with not more than 1.5 months bonus), but then the rising cost of programmers would put a toll on start-ups.