What is the single most important thing VC invests in?
Most of us thought it is the idea, but we know idea is cheap (many people could come up with the same idea) without execution. What execute the idea? PEOPLE. Basically VC looks for people with
- Passion – if are you not passionate with what you do, why should people put money in it.
- Experience - I have done it before.
- Knowledge – Domain expertise
- Skill – Technical, Marketing, etc.
- Leadership – Charisma, Management, etc.
- Commitment – I’ll be here until the end.
- Vision – see where this going is.
- Coachable – ability to listen.
Basically grab their attention in the first few minutes, bring them to higher and higher emotional high and make them write a cheque to you before you leave.
How to do a Presentation?
Positive Things to Do
- We need a logical progression, what to do, how to do and etc.
- Tell me things I know or understand, something I can relate to.
- Validators: Something or Someone saying this is good, such as statistic, real-life example, etc.
- Things I know are not true
- Things I don't understand
- Things that made me think
- Internal Inconsistencies
- Typos / Errors / Unpreparedness
- Good: Short bullet points
- Better: Just the headline
- Best: Only Images
Company Logo, Business, Overview, Management Team, Market, Product, Business Model, Strategic Relationship, Competition, Barriers to Entry, Financial Overview, Use of Proceeds, Capital & Valuation
- Use Presenter Mode
- Remote Control
- Hand-out More Info
- Don't read your speech
- Never look at screen