I have the following hypothesis on why Good Girls like Bad Boys:
- The opposite attract, good doesn’t like good, good likes bad
- Being bad makes you unique, more desirable, more mysterious, more attitude
- Good is boring. Being good means doing what is expected of you by the social society’s standard. There is not surprise, no excitement.
- Perhaps there is a deep dark inner desire of girl to be treated badly at times. Is like SM, where someone would enjoy being the masochist (the one being whipped). They found unexplainable joy within pain.
- Be with someone bad is like being with the rebels. Somehow there is something desirable about being with the rebels, rather the great general of the main force. Think of character like HK Gangster Big Brother, Cold Blooded Killer, The Great Thief or The Street Racer, all the characters have super Chun chick with them all the time, don’t mind being treated badly and would support the love of their life at any cost (too much movies’ influence here)
Is there any hope for the bad boys? The answer should be yes. When the younger girls had grown up, they would get fed up with the bad boys and start looking for something more gentle and secure. They want to be treated nicely and be pampered instead.
The above is pretty much stereotyped based on my own assumption. Somehow I feel that the “bad” element in us had an important role to play. You don’t want to be Mr. Nice Guy, as all the girls would say he is nice but no one want to be with him. Even if you are a good boy, you need to be “bad” at times. Perhaps it is the balance, Yin and Yang, Black and White. You always need the opposite force to balance things up, so that it won’t overflow. Perhaps we shouldn’t feel guilty when we are being “bad”, “evil” or “naughty”. A good dosage of badness would do us some good, just like how drugs are used in small dosage for medical purpose. You can be a gentleman and treat the person you like nicely (hopelessly romantic), but certain badness is required at times to complete the work. Perhaps life is just like that, you are never meant to be an extremist or purist (even a good guy need to be bad at times).
PS: Compliments from About Nude, Not Naked on why girls start with bad boys and might probably end up with good boys.
PS: Another similar entry by ~Rants of a BIG little Girl~.