Saturday, February 04, 2006

Why bother with making money?

Doesn’t it make you wonder why everyone is trying to make more money? Why do we want the extra cash, except for the reason that more is better?

I am not quite sure whether I am chasing the money or not, but it definitely one of the reward I would like to have. What makes me take risk in the attempt to make more money than the average folks, and propelled me into financial freedom?

I am doing what I am doing because:
  • I don’t like the feeling of being at my employer’s mercy. If I am a family man at the age of 40 working loyally (I have no where else to go) at Company X and they decide to fire me because my pay is too high and to replace me with someone younger, more energetic and cheaper, I am screwed! What if they decide to promote an ass-licker rather than me? I would feel devastated yet I can’t afford to leave (I have a family to feed). What if the job sucks and I have to go to work with a grumpy face every morning? It just sounds terrible to me, and I hope I don’t have to go through this kind of lifestyle.
  • I want to be in control of my job and have time for family. If I would have a family in the future, I want flexible hours. I want to spent time with wife and kids. I want to send the kids to school or pick them up from times to times, or have family days on weekdays where it is less crowded, and perhaps just to spent sometime together in between days (not when I am super tired at the end of the day from a 9 to 5 job)
  • I want to have the margin for accident and emergency. Just in case anything would to happen to my family (especially my parents), I want to have the capability to take care of them, to cure them. I wouldn’t want them to suffer at old age, perhaps a more comfortable lifestyle with proper care and love.
  • I want to enjoy the freedom, to do what I desire, rather than because I have to do it. I am buying a future comfortable lifestyle, with capabilities to have long and life-like vacations and enjoyed life in a really enjoyable manner. I don’t want to worry because salary isn’t coming in for the next 3 months, and the baby is hungry.
Hopefully today’s pain will be tomorrow's happiness :)

No comments: