Monday, August 07, 2006

The Ruby on Rails Challenge

In order for me to pick up Ruby and Rails fast and start developing something useful, perhaps I should put up an exciting yet achievable challenge (as long as I am not too optimistic again). How about to learn RoR and build a simple website to showcase my software services within 5 days (due date is this Friday)? In fact it is just 4 days, with some of it gone to my computer lessons with the children, product support and dancing class.

It took me about 4 months to complete Malaysia Most Wanted, with prior knowledge of PHP. Of course, with part of its time spent in Framework Development, System Design, UI and Data Entry as well. My initial target is 3 months, and with a much bigger target. Perhaps I am thinking that I am not very productive with PHP and my current framework, as it seems to be too time consuming, I do need a framework (perhaps develop one of my own is a mistake, but my choices is limited at that point of time), a stable and simple framework, powerful yet flexible kinda framework (too much to ask perhaps?). Anyway, I need it to be simple so that I can get it up to speed fast, and I need it to do what I need it to do.

So, at the end of the days, a framework should increase my productivity, and hopefully help me to build a better web application. Anyway, experience had taught me that I should never build something big with a new learned language or framework (a lot of mistakes and stupidity are going to take place). Thus a product showcase web site is small and simple enough.

Upon success, hopefully I could finish my next web application project within 2 weeks to 1 month period.

No comments: